Riding your motorcycle in Alaska guide


There’s nowhere on the planet quite like Alaska.

A genuine wilderness, it offers some of the most remote riding in the world, with stunning scenery and many deserted roads – so no wonder it’s becoming an increasingly popular biking destination!

One UK firm with plenty of Alaskan travel experience is GlobeBusters, and in the latest issue of RiDE Magazine owners Kevin and Julia have been providing readers with plenty of key information.

  • What’s It Like To Ride In Alaska? 

The standard of driving is as good as that found in much of Europe, although there are some differences in terms of speed limits. Also you’re not allowed to filter, although turning right on a red light is accepted as long as you’ve checked for oncoming vehicles.

  • Where Should You Ride?

The famous Dalton Highway is a classic adventure for overlanders, stretching 414 miles, the majority of it still dirt. Originally built as a supply road for the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, watch out for the large trucks that still use it on a regular basis!

  • What Should I Ride?

If you’re planning on being there for 4 weeks or more, it’s worth shipping your own bike out via Anchorage airport. With such a short riding season in Alaska, bike rental prices can be very high – around $200 per day for a BMW R1200GS.

  • When Should I Go?

Those native to Alaska often say it enjoys four seasons – June, July, August and Winter. That leaves a very brief window of opportunity to ride, and even in what we would consider peak summertime, snow is not uncommon if you are going beyond the Arctic Circle.

  • What Documents Will I Need?

Your current passport must be valid for 6 months or more beyond date of entry. UK citizens qualify for the Visa Waiver Scheme, but you still need to complete the ESTA online. If riding to Mexico, you’ll need a US Visa.

Don’t forget your UK Driving Licence and an International Driving Permit, which can be obtained from the RAC or Post Office. To clear your bike through customs, you’ll need your original V5C log book.

If taking your own bike, you need advanced approval from the US Environmental Protection Agency. Customs will need to see this paperwork in order to release the bike.

You must have 3rd party insurance cover to ride in the USA, but you’ll need a specialist insurance broker as most major UK firms won’t be able to help.

When it comes to your bike, don’t forget to pick the right tyres for your journey.

GlobeBusters have tried and tested all the products in our adventure range, and you can check them out here.