“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog” – the famous words of American author Mark Twain, and somewhat apt for competitors in the 2016 Nifty Fifty Endurance.
Taking place on a specially prepared off-road circuit near Winchester, this 5-hour charity race sees teams from across the UK compete to complete as many laps as possible on some of the most unsuitable bikes they can find from 50 – 90cc.
This year we will be teaming up with Hampshire based Venture Motorcycles, who are busy preparing a rather unloved ’98 50cc Yamaha Neos donor machine which probably hasn’t received this much attention since it left the factory.
When Peter contacted us to find out if Continental produced any suitable 12″ tyres for the race, we were only too happy to recommend our ContiMove365 all-season scooter tyre with it’s deep sipes and relatively chunky tread pattern able to deliver the best possible grip on the dirt track. The tyre is mud and snow rated in Germany, where this is a legal requirement for all tyres used over the winter period.
Being based just a few miles from the home of our UK Brand Manager Graham Matcham, we were also more than happy to offer his services as a rider to take the last spot on the four rider team.
The team’s chosen charity will be the Courage Foundation UK, who support children and families in Britain as deal with the bereavement of losing a sibling. You can find out more information about their important work at www.thecouragefoundation.uk.
The modifications that Peter Hutton, owner of Venture Motorcycles has made so far are as follows:
- The Neos frame has been reinforced with two extra steel cross members, and the addition of a bash plate.
- Front brake pads have been upgraded to Double H.
- The 50cc Yamaha engine has been refreshed with new seals and crank shaft bearings
- They have also removed the fuel mixing pump. Moving forward the fuel will be pre-mixed and stored in quick release interchangeable fuel tanks.
- Venture have also upgraded the drive belt to a Kevlar variant
- Continental Move 365 tyres have been fitted to the reconditioned rims
The first round of this year’s 3-round series will take place on the 14th May at Route 34 Motocross Park, and you can find out more about the event via the official Nifty Fifty website.
We look forward to seeing Graham get his knee down on the Yamaha….. along with his leg, arm and shoulder…
Stay tuned for the latest updates on the bike build and the racing throughout the year via our Facebook page.
Find out more about the ContiMove365 here.